As tweet-stormed by Entrepreneur and Angel Investor, Tyler Willis.
Q: If you were starting as a first-time VC tomorrow - what should you read consistently to improve your thinking & analysis?
- Subscribe to @theinformation for deeper news and do a light daily scan of techmeme and/or twitter
- Sign up as a member of stratechery for additional analysis
- Immediately subscribe to the @a16z podcast and follow @pmarca @cdixon and @BenedictEvans
- 25iq.com for simple insights into how investors think & approach problems
- Read http://venturehacks.com cover to cover
- Follow @rabois and read through his answers on Quora
- Sequoia's investment memo for YouTube
- Books. Read them. Zero to One, Innovator's Dilemma, Technological Revolutions and Financial Capital
- continuations.com (@albertwenger from USV) does a good job of showing tech in a coherent macroeconomic & cultural context
- avc.com & http://bothsidesofthetable.com both great (and very popular)- Be aware of off-the-cuff style & semi-random topics
- Follow "venture twitter" start with @DanielleMorrill @semil @hunterwalk @jasonlk @StartupLJackson @sama @mattocko @naval & @rabois
- 485 posts on the a16z blog. Start at the beginning & read up to today. Lots of the early ones are gold: http://a16z.com/page/70
- Purely personal, but I really learn from http://farnamstreetblog.com , Sam Harris books, and both the long now and Tim Ferriss podcasts
- Oh - read http://blog.wlessin.com/ cover to cover as well
- The book "Venture Deals" by @bfeld and @jasonmendelson. (Suggestion from @bencasnocha)
- Watch for enabling technologies in STEM journals/news: ACM, IEEE, PLOS, MIT Tech Review, ScienceNews, NewScientist. (Tip from @mattocko)
- Watch what new work is being done at top schools (e.g. CMU, Stanford, MIT).
- "Watch where the alpha nerds are going" (credit @timoreilly for that phrase). Watch and learn from how Tim, @cdixon & @mattocko do this.
- Read "Rationality: From AI to Zombies" to help improve the quality of your thinking
- Subscribe to @StrictlyVC & @DanPrimack Term Sheet newsletters (tip from @bthewirz)
- Keep reminding yourself to look for how systems affect real people. Follow @anildash, @mkapor, @goldman, @albertwenger, @libbybrittain.
- read the letters sent by Howard Marks: http://www.oaktreecapital.com/memo.aspx and Warren Buffett: http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/letters.html … (tip from @dkimerling)
- Build a network. All this information prepares you to not waste (and therefore get) the time of great people. Go learn their secrets IRL
- Understand how LPs think & follow the memes in their world: here. [hint: go talk to LPs!]
Check out the tweet-storm originally located here.